WOW!! What a STEMTASTIC quarter!!! Students took common assessments this week, but we still had some time to have fun learning!
Students wrapped up our unit on measurement conversions by completing a Seek n Solve. Many said it was their favorite activity so far this year!
Later in the week, students reviewed area and perimeter with this post-it note activity found here. It was a good review of prior knowledge, but challenged students with composite figures. Students then started constructing an Area & Perimeter Robot. I challenged them to add a bit of their personality to their drawings. I can't wait to see how they turn out!
In social studies, students worked on their Living Museum projects. They completed the design cycle graphic organizer, made invitations, and created an informational plaque and map. Some students even started creating their shelter. Check out this teepee!
We have a 3-day weekend, but I'll be in school on Friday working on grades, my evaluation lesson plan, and my 2-week plans for next quarter! A HUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEE SHOUTOUT to the STEMtastic students who helped beautify our classroom after school today! It looks great! Thanks also to the parents who picked them up! Have an amazing weekend everyone!!!!
In math class, we worked on converting measurements in the Customary System. In one class, I introduced the topic by reading the rhyming book, How Long or How Wide? Then we watched this ShowMe video from one of my favorite bloggers, Michelle White. I adore the graphic organizer she uses for conversions.
In social studies class, we applied what we learned about the Ancient Civilization populations affecting their environment to the Native American tribes in the Northwest Hemisphere. I introduced the topic with a sort I found here.
We finished up the week at Ohio Connections, the historical museum. Students went to the museum to draw inspiration for their Living History Museum design challenge. Then, they came back to school and used the design cycle to plan their exhibits.
We started one of my favorite units this week: The Metric System! Our school focuses on problem-based learning, so I presented the students with a real-life problem. I told them that I am running a 15k in November. I want to train on the track, but do not know how many laps to run. Students were given metric sticks and went off to problem solve.
Students didn't find an answer, so the next day we built towers using centimeter or millimeter cubes, recorded the data, and then converted the measurements using the "King Henry" song we listened to on Flocabulary. The students figured out that a 15k would be 15,000 meters. They still have not figured out how many meters are on the track because it rained at the end of the week and we couldn't go out! Hopefully they can figure it out in the upcoming week!
In social studies, students compared and contrasted the Aztecs, Mayans, and Incas using Venn Diagrams.
Students struggled on their 3-tier timelines, so we completed a Human 3-tier timeline to help them visualize the organization better.
We are so lucky to have use of the Literacy Lounge to work. My classroom is way too tiny to complete such a large project! What a fun week!
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.